Thursday, February 28, 2013

Intermezzo...

Steinbeck's "East of Eden" is what we'll be reading for the better part of March, lady(/ies) and gent(s).


I'll be diving in this weekend; hopefully you all are wrapping up AK, or will be taking the plunge into EoE conmigo!

Now,
A digression on what lies beyond...

AK was tremendous... ly long. Steinbeck is long, too, but I predict much breezier. In AK every page had the potential to be swampy and dense. Was it the Russian influence? The times? Idk.
Steinbeck has a much better meter and momentum to his prose. Poetic even. It shouldn't be a struggle at any one point, if intuition serves.

But, for the sake of length and endurance, I want to put Nabokov's Lolita on the backburner.
Let's read some quicker novellas before that, shall we? Maybe even a short story collection?

I nominate:
-The Stranger by Camus, &
-Heart of Darkness by Conrad

What do you guys 'n gals think? Yay? Nay? Nominate your own?
Work with me here, people!

1 comment:

  1. I nominate Fraud by David Rakoff - it's a collection of essays

    ReplyDelete